Monday, June 24, 2013

Threading Discoveries, Part 4

Happy Monday! 
      Well, my beading adventures continued Saturday with the completion of my necklace!  I found that working with shorter thread was much easier to do and required little adjustment to the pattern.  It went much faster and I discovered that my nine yards  of thread was supposed to be nine feet of thread. Hee hee.  Because of the reinforcements and half hitch knots used to finish of the thread and to start a new one, the piece is perfectly secure and looks just as nice. You can't even see the knots or the start and end spots.

     A note about threading medium... With this necklace in particular, I decided to use nylon beading thread, such as one G, instead of Fireline because it lays much nicer, like a fine quality piece of jewelry. I tried making it first with Fireline, and found that it gave it a plastic feel even though I was using crystals.  And when you are making an elegant piece like this, it should feel expensive, too.
     I also came up with this great idea to end my necklaces with ribbon instead of chain to make the size adjustable.  I had made a very casual piece using all ribbon for the necklace and it looks so cute with the bow closure that I thought, "Why not finish my other pieces like that?"  It reduces the cost of having to use expensive chain, and looks nice on a bare neck, in case you wear your hair up.  The only trouble that you might encounter is tying the bow so that the necklace lays correctly,  but with a little effort, that really shouldn't be a challenge.

     Here is a picture of the finished work. Let me know what you think.




And thanks again for reading. Contact me at happynewminute@verizon.net for classes and to purchase patterns or finished pieces. Thank you!  Check out Happy New Minute on Facebook as well as Misti's Jewelry on Etsy.  Check back for upcoming blogs by Happy New Minute  about my last jewelry discoveries.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment